AALA National AGM
The Asian Australian Lawyers Association Inc. (AALA) gives notice of, and invites you to, its 2020 National Annual General Meeting (National AGM). The National AGM will be held:
Date: Thursday, 26 November 2020
Time: 6.00pm AEDST (Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney) (for a 6.30pm start)
5.00pm AEST (Brisbane) (for a 5.30pm start)
5.30pm ACDST (Adelaide) (for a 6.00pm start)
3.00pm AWST (Perth) (for a 3.30pm start)
Online via Zoom, with details to be circulated to members following registration
In-Person at the following venues, generously hosted by Corrs Chambers Westgarth:
Corrs Chambers Westgarth (Brisbane)
Level 42, 111 Eagle Street
Brisbane QLD 4000
Corrs Chambers Westgarth (Perth)
Level 6, 123 Georges Terrace
Perth WA 6000
Corrs Chambers Westgarth (Sydney)
Level 17, 8-12 Chifley Square
Sydney NSW 2000
The agenda for the National AGM is as follows:
6.00pm – 6.30pm AEDST
Registration and credentialling of members (You must log on online or arrive in person during this time to be properly registered and credentialled before the National AGM commences)
6.30pm – 8.45pm AEDST
Acknowledgment of Country and formal business of National AGM
If you are a Member of AALA, you are requested to attend the National AGM to:
- appoint a Chair of National AGM by Ordinary Resolution;
- ratify the appointment of the National Returning Officer by Ordinary Resolution;
- confirm the minutes of the 2019 National AGM by Ordinary Resolution;
- receive and consider reports from the National President, National Vice President, National Secretary and National Treasurer by Ordinary Resolution;
- receive and consider the Annual Report for the 2019-2020 financial year and Financial Statements for the 2019-2020 financial year by Ordinary Resolution;
- set the number of Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee for 2020-2021 by Ordinary Resolution;
- approve the AALA membership fee structure for the 2021-2022 financial year by Ordinary Resolution;
- vote on proposed Branch Terms by Ordinary Resolution;
- vote on proposed amendments to the AALA Constitution by Special Resolution; and
- elect the Executive Committee Members (other than any Branch President and any Branch Secretary); and
- consider any other items of business.
Notice of Meeting and Proxy Form
Please refer to the attached formal Notice of National AGM which sets out the business to be conducted and includes the following annexures:
The Annual Report for the 2019-2020 financial year and Financial Statements for the 2019-2020 financial year will be distributed to members prior to the National AGM.
Members may appoint another Member to attend, speak and vote at the National AGM, as the Member’s proxy, by completing the Proxy Form and submitting it to the Association in accordance with the requirements specified on the Proxy Form itself and on the Notice of National AGM.
Non-members are welcome to attend the National AGM but will not be eligible to vote on the items of business (see further details below on eligibility to vote).
Eligibility to vote
For the purposes of the National AGM, a person is entitled to vote if:
- the person is a Member of the Association (other than an Associate Member);
- more than 10 business days have passed since he or she became a Member; and
- the Member’s membership rights are not suspended for any reason.
If you have not yet paid your membership fees for the 2020-2021 financial year, you must do so by 11.59pm AEDST 11 November 2020. If you do not pay your membership fees for the 2020-2021 financial year by this time, you will NOT be eligible to vote at the National AGM.
If required, elections for the positions of National President, National Vice-President, National Secretary and National Treasurer, and a single election (if required) for Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee, will be held at the National AGM.
Please see attached the Nomination Form for more information.
Completed Nomination Forms must be returned by 6pm AEDST Wednesday 25 November 2020:
· by email to:
You must register to attend the National AGM. Registration to attend the National AGM closes at 6pm AEDST Wednesday 25 November 2020.
To register to attend the National AGM, please register via the National AGM event page on the AALA web site by 6pm AEDST Wednesday 25 November 2020:
General inquiries should be directed to Matt Floro, National Secretary of the Association, by email to email@example.com.
Inquiries about elections should be directed to Barton Wu, National Returning Officer of the Association, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Asian Australian Lawyers Association