As many of you would know, the elections for the Law Institute of Victoria are underway. One of our members, Zubair Mian is seeking election this year.
If you are an LIV member, we encourage you to support diversity in the LIV council and consider voting for our member. A brief introduction is as below.
I am humbled, privileged and honoured to be seeking re-election to the LIV Council having been elected for a three year term in 2015.
I Graduated from Melbourne University in1985, was admitted to practice in 1986, and member of the LIV since my admission. I am an experienced commercial litigator at Mian Phillips & Co, the firm I established in 1988 after a two year stint as employee solicitor.
I believe Strong leadership is essential in representing LIV member’s interest.I understand the issues and concerns faced by practitioners on a daily basis. My diverse experience gained over decades of Legal Practice, inspires me to represent you with compassion, sincerity and conviction. I believe some values are worth fighting for. LIV members must always come first and receive value for money, paid through their membership fees. After all, The LIV is a Member based organisation. It has moved too far to the right and has been operating as a business in recent times rather than representing the interest and welfare of its members. Member’s health & wellbeing is of utmost importance. I am a strong advocate for cultural, ethnic and gender diversity in the Legal Profession. I am passionate about improving conditions for young lawyers; assisting new graduates find work experience and employment in their chosen profession to gain experience and to progress in their carrier. I currently serve as:-
· LIV Council/Board member, I am on Committees including, LIV Executive committee as 5thExecutive, Bail review, building working Group, Committee overseeing Investing Building sale proceeds, Diversity, Access to Justice, LIV Awards, Membership and various other Committees;
· President, of ESLA Inc. since 2012;
· Founding member and Vice President of AALA Asian Australian Lawyers Association, Inc. (AALA) until 2017, President Vic AALA until October 2018 AGM and now Committee member, www.aala.org.au;
· Registered Mentor with LIV & AALA;
· LIV Council Liaison for Northern Suburbs Law Association (NSLA) & MPLA.
For more information, please visit LIV's website at : https://www.liv.asn.au/About/Council-Governance/LIV-Council-Elections